Re: [tlug] Netbooks (sony reader)

On 2010-02-02 09:50 +0000 (Tue), Godwin Stewart wrote:

> I /wanted/ to get the PRS-505 but was too slow off the mark. I didn't have
> the ready cash to get it. Now, it's been discontinued and you can't find it
> here in the UK. Everyone is pushing the "upgrade", which is the PRS-600.

Actually, the 600 is really the "upgrade" of the PRS-700; the 300 is
more or less the newer version of the 505, unless you wanted the (only
physically) larger screen or the ability to use card storage.

> The extra, touch-sensitive layer on the screen reduces the contrast of
> the eInk display considerably, making it nowhere near as pleasant to
> look at than the PRS-505.

Trust me, it's nowhere near as bad as the 700 was. :-)

But yeah, the non-touchscreen E-Ink displays are pretty much around
mass-market paperback quality, and you don't get that cramp in your hand
when you're holding the book open one-handed.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974
             http://www.starling-software.com