Re: [tlug] Netbooks

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
In particular when bought with a 2-year emobile contract the netbook
hardware is very cheap [3], and the monthly fee is a reasonable 3-6000
yen [4].

Does anyone here have one? Are linux pre-installed models easily
available? Or if installing linux as a dual-boot, what should I watch
out for? Or <whisper>is sticking with windows going to be good enough
for my needs?</whisper>

You're leaving out some usage information that would help a lot.

1. Will you be doing a lot of text input?  If you are, get a netbook.  If not, iPad/Android/other tablets.
2. Is battery life important to you?  I'm waiting for the Samsung N220 (already out, but Samsung pulled out of Japan; thinking about picking one up on my upcoming trip to Singapore/Malaysia).  12.5 hours of battery life (reported).
3. Is weight important to you?  I was in Bic Camera (Yurakucho) yesterday, and there was a model sponsored by Docomo (get a contract with them, in other words) that was less than 1kg light and had a very respectable 9-hour battery life.
4. Anything else (eg do you want to travel with a charger, are you going to be in Wi-fi hotspots rather than need cellular coverage)?  For example, Bic Camera has a 380yen/month Wi-fi plan with no usage fees,  no contract fees, etc.

--
Ai Ling Chow | alchow@example.com