Re: [tlug] OSS network visualization software, WAS: [Semi-OT] Network connectivity diagnosis

Quoting Kalin KOZHUHAROV:
> Inkscape and Dia are the only tools I've seen for Linux vector
> graphics. Inkscape has been getting better and now is quite usable
> IMHO (now==inkscape-0.47).

I've been using Inkscape heavily in the last few years for all kinds of
desktop publishing tasks and templating (automated production of seating
charts, photo albums, ID cards, etc.)

But even though I am now very familiar with it, and know most of the
keyboard shortcuts by heart, I still find myself swearing loudly every time
I try to use it to draw a network map or flowchart!

Even the cheap flowcharting shareware I was using before the advent of
Visio (which BTW I absolutely loved until MS bought it and started screwing
up all the good shortcuts) had better connector tools than Inkscape.

I need something that will let me:

- Draw elements (network nodes, people in an org chart, etc.)
- Label them (ideally, autocentered text, autoshrinking font size when
  necessary to fit) [Inkscape fails here]
- Connect them with my choice of direct lines or curves, with the option of
  tying the connector to (a) the center of mass (b) the center of a side
  (c) custom points -- and draw the connectors cleanly to the edge of the
  node [Inkscape majorly fails here]
- Choose the start/endpoints of the connectors (arrows, circles, etc)
- Label the endpoints of connectors (e.g. IP addresses on network
  interfaces, decisions on a process flowchart) [Fails here too]
- Intelligently reroute everything when moving nodes around
- Allow me to group/ungroup elements, allowing connectors to be attached to
  groups without screwing up the maintenance of existing connectors on
  grouped objects [here too]
- Save to a file format that is easily editable/generatable
  programatically for templating purposes [Visio fails here]
- Render to at least SVG (which can then be rendered to anything)

...and of course...

- Install it with a simple apt-get ;->

--
()  Patrick (L.) Bernier <pat@example.com>