Re: [tlug] OSS network visualization software, WAS: [Semi-OT] Network connectivity diagnosis

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:04:22 +0700
Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung@example.com> wrote:
> (2010/01/25 20:39), Christian Horn wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:05:46PM +0700, Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
> >
> >> [1]: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4302271477_7938ae0962_o.png
> >>
> > What did you use to generate this, what software do others here use?
> >
> Shame on me, it was the guy sitting next to me using Power Point created
> this image.
>
> > - inkscape seems a bit heavy and hard to learn
> > - kvisio was kde-related, seems dead
> >
> k* in kvisio is not "kool" anymore, they are too heavy yet not bloated.
> > - anyone using xfig for such purposes?
> >
> Though I thought vector drawing software would be easier to use but I do
> use gimp.
> IMO, to draw a network like that, we only need a software that supports
> layers.

It's a bit annoying but there is no useful Open Source alternative for Adobe
Illustrator yet. I hate that damn thing, with its fiddly UI that never
does what you expect from your click and its piles of annoying quirks,
and besides the fact that it's slow and expensive. But there simply is
nothing with the same functionality.

I tried Inkscape but that one doesn't even do text boxes. Reason: "It's
not in the SVG spec." Hello? How am I expected to make anything with
more than 3 lines of text when I'm not able to specify an area that text
stays in? I'm not even talking about text flowing between boxes, kerning
or Asian typography or whatever.

The only viable alternative that existed was FreeHand, but that one's
also proprietary and dead for 4 years on top.

:(

Martin