[tlug] solved - usb microscope for linux

Hello,

while ago I asked about this gadget:
http://exoo.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008830506716/pdtl/Microscope/1014370395/Microscope.htm

and finaly I received it from our local seller
(http://www.kabelmanie.cz/digitalni-mikroskop-a002-s-automatickym-i-manualnim-ostrenim/)

It works well under linux. Here is a quick howto (gentoo):

1. emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
2. cd /usr/src/linux
3. make menuconfig
   3a. - select Device Drivers -> Multimedia devices -> Video capture
   adapters -> V4L USB devices -> USB Video Class (UVC)
4. compile and install new kernel,
   4a make && make modules_install; mount /boot ;
      cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-microscope
   4b update bootloader (vim /boot/grub/menu.lst)
   4c reboot
5. emerge media-video/luvcview
6. run "luvcview -f yuv -s 640x480" - note that the microscope does not
   know jpg video format (see luvcview -h)

That's it. Here is one quick sample image (letter F printed on our laser
printer):
http://material.karlov.mff.cuni.cz/people/hajek/tlug/letterF.jpeg

Capturing video is also available however I did not test it yet.

One cool thing I tried is to put the microscope into my mouth and
looked at my teeth to veryfy dentist's work :)

In case anyone has questions, feel free to ask me.

Best regards
michal