Re: [tlug] Linux 7 year ago? [was Re: [OT] job posting]

Quoting Josh Glover:
> Yeah, my first modem was a 1200 baud one, so you know I was late to
> the party (though I partially made up for it by "sysoping" my own
> BBS). Was your 300 baud one of the acoustic coupler models?

Nope, I wasn't /that/ early; it had a proper RJ-11 jack. It also ran a BBS
(coded in ACOS) for three years before giving up the line to its successor
running on a 286 (but I didn't code that one, I simply used TeleGard
w/FrontDoor for FidoNet connectivity).

One interesting thing which happened with that modem was that after
installing my TransWarp accelerator (which boosted the computer to 3.6MHz),
if I didn't toggle the dipswitch to slow down slot 2 (where the modem was),
it would dial (pulse) 3.6 times faster -- and, to my surprise, the CO's
phone switch (likely a DMS-100) was actually able to parse the phone number
despite the pattern being completely out of pulse dialing specs!
Unfortunately I didn't have any friends with similar equipment to see if it
could actually communicate when accelerated (^_^);

--
()  Patrick (L.) Bernier <pat@example.com>
()  http://www.TZoNE.ORG/~pat/