[tlug] Repairing a Possible Attack

Between 23:30 last evening and 06:30 this morning, over 150Gb of disk space on my desktop PC -- running Kubuntu 9.10 -- has disappeared leaving me zero disk space. I suspect Something Bad (tm).

Before nuking the entire installation and doing an NSA wipe of the HDD is there some easier way of identifying the problem and eliminating only the bad parts and patching? Like listing all files that have been written since a certain time / date; listing by size, listing what system changes have occurred? etc?

Most of what was on the drive is expendable and data exists elsewhere. It is a simple matter of reinstalling the OS if that's what it comes down to. But, if there is an easier way to get at the problem and close the barn doors ...

--
CL