[tlug] Weird xmodmap problem

Godwin Stewart writes:

 > Similarly, the 'n' key is displaying the same oddity:
 >
 > $ xmodmap -e 'keycode 0x39 = n N n N ntilde Ntilde'
 >
 > Then, Mod5+n *should* get me a 'ñ' and Mod5+shift+n *should* get me a 'Ñ',
 > but they don't, I just get 'n' and 'N' respectively. Yet:
 >
 > $ xmodmap -pke | grep 'keycode  57'
 > keycode  57 = n N n N ntilde Ntilde
 >
 > So, to recap, X is aware of the changes I've made to the mapping since
 > they're displayed in the output of 'xmodmap -pke'.

First try starting XEmacs.  If it doesn't bitch at you about your
keyboard mapping, you can shut it down.  If it does, pay attention to
what it says, it might possibly of use.

Second, you do have Mod5 attached to a keycode with the keysym
Mode_switch (or an alias, in X.org there are about a half dozen of
them, all translating to 0xff7e), right?

Third, see what xev has to say when you press those keys.

Fourth, you can go dig around in XKB (usually /etc/X11/xkb) and see if
there's anything unusual about those keys or their keysyms.