Re: [tlug] Need advice to choose a router

Quoting Yann Ubuntu:
> I am now going forward and saw a 7000Y model at BigCamera: a Fonera2.0
> which looks good (i need b/g wireless for 2 ubuntu9.04 pc) but I am

The Fonera2.0 looks like a decent good choice. I assume that the built-in
software will not be able to do what you want (link redundancy), but
according to the OpenWRT page at

  http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/openwrtdocs/hardware/fon/fonera2

you can install OpenWRT on it and then it will do whatever you want,
although a bit more manual configuration will be required. Also keep in
mind that by replacing the software in the router, you will lose the
"official" Fon functionality though, including (I assume) the ability to
participate in their shared access point scheme.

Then again there might be a way to get shell access on a Fon device without
reflashing it; I don't know.

> wondering if it will be ok because Wikipedia
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FON#Fonera_2.0n) says that it does not
> have a built-in modem and needs to be connected to a dsl-modem or
> router. ???
>
> so this "fonera" model is not what we call a "router"? i don't
> understand the difference.
> For another model (like "AirStation NFINITI"), do i need also to be
> connected to a dsl-modem or router ?

Most of the routers you will see in stores do not have a built-in
ADSL modem, because some people don't need them. However...

> For the moment I can access internet via my LAN cable directly to the
> wall connection , and without any router. (i enter my NTT
> login/password in the "DSL" tab of NetworkManager).
> Does this mean that my flat's building has a central "dsl-modem"
> behind my wall (shared between all flats) ?

Exactly. Your building has a central DSL or maybe fiber "modem"
and access is brought to everybody inside via standard Ethernet
cabling. You're a lucky guy.

> if yes , does this mean I can use this "fonera" model ?

Yes.

> Woww, by the way: if you use Ubuntu, don't forget to test your
> internet connection with live-cd before upgrading to 9.10 because this
> last version has serious NetworkManager bugs.

I always disable NetworkManager and setup my links manually in
/etc/network/interfaces , so I wouldn't know :(

--
()  Patrick (L.) Bernier <pat@example.com>
()  http://www.TZoNE.ORG/~pat/