Re: [tlug] WAN fail-over configuration in Linux-based router

Thanks for so many replies. I think I asked the question in the right place. :)

My requirement is actually quite simple, outgoing networking
redundancy where connection drop is allowable.

So Patrick's answer is closest to what I need. And sorry for not
following up the thread yesterday as it's pretty late.

Thanks for all the answers and solutions, these might also be helpful
in the future. :)

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Francois Cartegnie <fcartegnie@example.com> wrote:
>> So, the bottom line is, PPPoE or not, it's probably better to setup an
>> infinitely looping script that will use a criteria of your choice to select
>> the best exit; for example, you might want to ping a set of remote hosts
> I'd suggest renting on the other end an extra cheap server (vps?) as router
> with reliable network, and use it as entry point across the two ISP. Then
> bond/trunk the two links in a passive/active or broadcast setup.
> This would prevent dealing with dns problems for incoming connections, and
> ensure etablished connections not being dropped (even though it was not
> required).

That's an interesting solution.

Cheers,
Jianshi