Re: [tlug] WAN fail-over configuration in Linux-based router

Quoting Curt Sampson:
> For the latter, when you just want to deal well with one of your ISPs
> going down, I'm reckoning it might be as easy as two NAT gateways on to
> your interior each running HSRP

HSRP is Cisco proprietary. In the open world, the equivalent is "VRRP".
You can run vrrpd under OpenWRT, but you might have to go with an old
version for that.

Actually, this way of doing it not only protects you from your ISP going
down, it also protects you from router failure -- but that's the only good
reason I might see to go with it, as it's more complicated and requires
more hardware than going for a single router solution.

Well, one more reason might be if you are lucky enough to be running Linux
on a router with a built-in ADSL interface (I say lucky because that gives
you easy access to physical line stats and ATM stats for your scripts) --
it's unlikely you'd have two ADSL ports on such a platform, so you'd need a
pair if you were going for two ADSL links.

--
()  Patrick (L.) Bernier <pat@example.com>
()  http://www.TZoNE.ORG/~pat/