Re: [tlug] WAN fail-over configuration in Linux-based router

On 2009-11-05 15:07 +0100 (Thu), Attila Kinali wrote:

> ...you'll need an AS (autonomus system) number and a PI (provider
> independent) IP block. Both are not easy to get... (the reason is
> because the AS space is nearly exhausted....

And with only 2^16 of them, no wonder. Oh, how I'm regretting not
getting one back in '95 when any random bozo (for example, me) could
have one for the asking.

> ...and those who manage border gateways do not like small IP ranges in
> their routing table, with small equals anything smaller than a /19)...

Yeah, but they still have to deal with the very fragmented areas full
of /24s. They've put a hard limit on how big the IPv4 routing tables
are going to grow, but there's still room in there for the small guys,
if you can somehow manage to get an address space from an existing
allocation.

> Now that you have the connectivity, you need two routers that can talk
> BGP...

Dead easy. I don't even know if gated still exists, but there must be
old copies around, and you could run that on any 64MB 486 back in the
mid-90s, no problem.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com