Re: [tlug] LVM2 and resizing partition

Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> Edward Middleton wrote:
>
>> What you have done doesn't really help.  You have reduce the number of physical extents allocated to the LogVol00 logical volume,  from the 500G VolGroup00 volume group, but you don't know where in the volume group (i.e. the partition) they are allocated.
>>

> He also said he used pvresize to shrink the physical volume, ...

Good point, I misread that.  You only need the extra drive if pvresize
fails,  which will happen if any of your extents are after the first 200GB.

I would still advise using multiple physical volumes to avoid the
problem altogether.

> To resize the actual partition I'd use fdisk and delete and then
> recreate it smaller ...

The page I linked[1] explains how to do the resize with parted.

Edward

1. http://fedora64.org/Members/zcat/shrink-lvm-for-new-partition