Re: [tlug] Files copied to USB thumb drive completely gone

On 2009-11-02 14:45 +0100 (Mon), Attila Kinali wrote:

> This sounds like you've forgotten to unmount the stick or didnt
> wait long enough for the sync to happen (which can take several
> minutes, depending on the data size and properties of the stick)

It's always best to unmount, but I've also picked up this habit of, when
I've finished a copy to external media, typing "sync" and waiting for
that to come back before continuing.

"Continuing," in this case, being typing "sync" a second time and
waiting for that to come back. :-) (Yes, I used too much 16-bit Unix.)

But yeah, always unmount your drives before you pull them out, and
expect the umount (or sync) to take quite some time on modern machines,
where you have more free memory than the entire USB thumb drive size.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com