Re: [tlug] Need advice to choose a router

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Michael Bitker <mbitker@example.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/2 Niels Kobschätzki <n.kobschaetzki@example.com>:
>> On 平成21/11/02, at 3:19, Alan Busby wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Godwin Stewart
>>> The protocols supported by routers (ethernet, IEEE802.11) are totally
>>> independent of the O/S your computer uses.
>>>
>>> If your machine supports these protocols (and it will do if it's running
>>> GNU/Linux) then there's nothing to worry about.
>>>
>>> Except for the routers that come with a MS Windows only application for
>>> configuring the router, instead of a web interface on the router.
>>
>> Those are still in existence?
>>
>> Choose a router that supports the installation of Open-WRT
>> (http://openwrt.org/) or DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index) and you
>> should be happy ever after.
>>
>> Niels
>
> I've been considering switching to one of these, but I get panic
> attacks when I check
> and double check and triple check the model numbers to make sure that I don't
> drop ¥6,000 on something with incompatible hardware. It seems my Corega router
> uses pretty standard hardware, but I'm too chicken to flash it and end
> up with no
> internet until I can replace it. xD

If I have to set up a DD-WRT/Open-WRT I usually search for the
unbrick-manuals as well before I flash the router. Just in case.
Usually the routers can still get firmware via tftp - those is then in
most cases real basic stuff where you can use only telnet to configure
it but it's possible to get a system working and flash it with a
firmware that has some more features.
Just search for unbrick-how tos as well before buying/installation and
print them out ;)
Print the flashing-manual out as well and double check if you have
everything what you need when you do not have internet access (like
minimal-firmware etc).

But I had only once or twice problems and could always solve them
w/out much prior knowledge.
The result is great usually afterwards.

Niels