Re: [tlug] Permissions on local Apache web testing environment

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 16:41, Ian Barwick <barwick@example.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/2 Dave M G <dave@example.com>:
>> Kalin,
>>
>> Thanks for responding.
> (...)
>>> 2. What is happening?
>>>
>> After restoring all my files, the JavaScript is no longer working. I
>> know the browser is not refusing JavaScript because I can see JavaScript
>> in action on other pages.
>>
>> Because I was previously seeing permissions errors on my PHP scripts, I
>> was tempted to think that permissions were a problem with the JavaScript
>> files. But I've verified that all files have the same permissions and
>> owners as before the crash.
>>
>> Right now the site is behaving as if it can't find or can't run the
>> JavaScript.
>
> Can you load the JavaScript files directly into your browser? (I.e.
> copy the "/path/to/javascript.js" part from <script
> src="/path/to/javascript.js"> and access it as
> "http://yourlocalservername/path/to/javascript.js";, or as-is if the
> src attribute of  <script> tag already contains the explicit
> hostname).
>
> More importantly, what do your Apache logfiles say?
Second that, and check if the MIME type for JavaScript is configured properly.

You can test that like:

wget -q -S -O /dev/null http://whatever_is_your_server/some_dir/file.js

Then look for the Content-type ypur Apache is sending. One quick
Google: http://krijnhoetmer.nl/stuff/javascript/mime-types/

Kalin.