Re: [tlug] linux@example.com How many widely can we do that?

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009, Curt Sampson wrote:

On 2009-10-25 19:02 +0900 (Sun), Johan Berntsson wrote:

I work for a small startup where the management doesn't care about the
tools used as long as the development gets done. I'm using Linux 100%,
with VirtualBox for some Windows cross-platform testing, but most of
my collegues prefer to work on Windows. Well, to each his own.

It would be an interesting story to hear about what you're developing,
how you can manage to work on both platforms (do you actually run and
test your system on both?), and so on. If you really can use any editor,
have all the VCS clients you need on both, etc. etc., that would be of
interest in and of itself. And what can't you do on both platforms that
must be done on one or the other?

Personally, what you do sounds like a bit of an unusual project....

My employer doesn't necessarily dictate which O/S we have to use. I work in a product development group. Our product has to run on Linux, Solaris, and Windows so we have all those environments available in a number of different flavors and bit-widths.

Company-wide, everyone gets a standard-issue Dell with Windows installed. The IT department really only supports Windows (in a company our size, you can hardly blame them) but, for developers, they will set the machine up for either dual-boot with Linux or with a VMware virtual machine instance on request. But we also have a large number of VNC-capable *nix machines for remote login -- and that's where I do most of my work. The Dell is
just a "not-so-dumb" terminal for me.

That said, there *are* quite a few old-time developers at our Oregon site who started writing code on Windows before linux was really an option and they continue to do so even today. We use Perforce for version control and a home-grown build/regression system and both work seem to fine on all the platforms we support. QA manages the build system so most developers only build and test on the platform of their choice. Pretty much all of our R&D documentation is done on an in-house TWiki system.

Unfortunately, the product has to run on the O/S versions installed at our customers' locations so, that means we're constrained to develop and test on the "lowest common denominator" which currently means RHEL 4/5 and SUSE 9/10. There are a few more "modern" machines around but the bulk of what we have available for daily development work are stock RH/SUSE machines.

When I have to do something that involves more up-to-date software than the company servers can handle, I use my home machine (Gentoo) and sent the files back-and-forth with scp. That mostly works until some writer in the documentation department asks how they can reproduce some diagram in a spec I wrote ;-)...

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org/                    for thou art crunchy
http://thelemicleague.org/        and goest well with cheese.