Re: [tlug] [OT] Home Internet router reccomendations

> I just signed up for NTT/OCN Hikari internet, and need to find myself a
> router. I thought I'd double check / get some opinions rather than going
> with the one they offered me (a Buffalo Airstation WZR-HP-G300NH for
> 10800 yen).
>
> It looks like the connection is by Ethernet from the provider into the
> router, is that right? If there are any different standards between
> providers then I'd welcome any warnings.

Hi,

>From my experiences to be using both BT ADSL line in UK
and NTT FTTH line such as your NTT/OCN Hikari called B-FLET's in Japan,
the biggest differences in router setting on both services are as follows;

BT ADSL service is based on PPoA.
Probably, in UK,  you are familiar to the following BT ADSL router setting
including on third party ones such as Netgear or LinSys.

Connection type: PPoA
username: your.name@example.com ?
password: i_think_this_can_be_anything
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
MRU: 1500 bytes

On the other hand,
NTT/OCN Hikari (NTT FTTH service called B-FLET's) is based on PPPoE
which allows you to chose your favourite from several ISPs.

http://www.ntt-west.co.jp/news_e/0012/001218.html
http://flets.com/english/next/isp.html

Also, NTT FLET's is distributing their own
PPPoE client setting utility called FLET's square.

http://www.ntt-west.co.jp/service_guide/5great/great08.html

Sotaro