Re: [tlug] [OT] eBooks

    Godwin> On 10/10/09 12:57, Godwin Stewart wrote:
    >> It's the DRM that's worrying me a little. Am I right in
    >> assuming that I'm going to have to use proprietary software
    >> (read: Windows software) to transfer any eBooks I download onto
    >> the eReader?

    Godwin> After a little further research I've found that this is
    Godwin> not the case:

    Godwin> http://ronnietucker.co.uk/blog/2009/07/23/sony-reader-prs-505-in-linux-review/

You may also want to look for readers from Hanvon. Hexaglot.com just
started to sell one here in Germany and for the same price as the
Sony. The Chinese manufacturer also seems to make othert models which
are usually relabled by other companies. I have the N518 and is no
problem to write the books to an SDHC card and the reader displays
them. I tried text files and pdfs. It also is capable of displaying
DRMed books, but I haven't got any yet. It also has nice handwriting
recognition for taking notes and making annotations and since it comes
from Hexaglot it has a German-English dictionary preloaded.
I have yet to try displaying Japanese texts (no Japanese handwriting
recognition on the German firmware). The only drawback is that it runs
with windows mobile. I have to check if there are any alternative
firmewares. The say the firmware can be updated, butg I haven't found
any yet.
Here is a link to the Hexaglot site
http://hexaglot.com/index.php?page[]=products&page[]=shop&product_category=25&product=477

and to the Hanvon site
http://www.hanvon.com/en/index.html

Marcus

| mocm@example.com            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |
 |>>>             Quis custodiet ipsos custodes                 <<<|