[tlug] Ubuntu installer

Just trying to install Ubuntu or any derivative thereof onto my desktop for my son. I want to put together a new machine and give him this one and he thinks he might rather run Ubuntu than the openSUSE that I have on it now. I went into this thinking "No problem" but am now guessing "No way".

I have installed from about 6 different sources, both 64-bit and 32-bit versions. I have tried Ubuntu 9.04 (two different sources, one download, one from a CD that came with a book), Ubuntu 8.04 (two different magazine CDs), and two derivatives, one of which was Mint Linux. Every one I tried gave the same results: worked fine from the live CD, including internet access, but won't boot after installation. Boot failure is exactly the same in every instance. Setting up network interface always results in failure and stops the boot process. They all have the Ubuntu installer in common, and I have never had a problem with the SUSE installer.

According to the YAST hardware info, I have and Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz, and have Ethernet Network Interface with an RTL8111/i168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (eth0). YAST doesn't list my motherboard or chipset, but I guess I could catch that on boot-up if it is pertinent.

Is there any way around this?