Re: [tlug] [OT] Job hunting

> I understand there is a similar arrangement with Canada, though I don't
> have a reference link here. Apparently years of payment made in Japan
> will count as time paid in Canada (& vice versa for Japanese in Canada).

That seems better than the US version.  Read carefully for weasel lawyer words:

"Under the rules that apply to the United States, if a person has
credit for at least six quarters of coverage under the U.S. Social
Security system but not enough credits to qualify for a retirement,
survivors or disability benefit, the person's coverage credits from
both the United States and Japan could be totalized (i.e., combined)
to permit him or her to qualify for a partial U.S. benefit. The
benefit amount payable to a person who qualifies based on totalized
credits would be proportional to the amount of coverage completed in
United States."

Do you get credit for what you paid in Japan - no.
If you don't qualify in the US but paid to Japan, I think you can use
the Japanese credits to say you qualify for what you paid in the US.
In other words, you lose what you paid in Japan.

That is how it reads to me.