Re: [tlug] router

>>>   http://routerboard.com/pricelist.php?showProduct=51
>>>

>> That is extremely cool. I don't suppose you could use something like this
>> for LVS?
>
> If you can get some form of Linux on this box with the ipvs kernel
> module and associated friends along with the userland to control
> LVS.  I don't see why this would not work.

When I was investigating this device, I ran across forums where folks
claimed to have blasted Linux over the top of the "RouterOS" that's
pre-installed. But if that's what you're going to do, there are probably
more capable devices out there -- but if you *need* five ethernet ports,
there's apparently not much else to choose from in that form factor.

Actually, I would need at least four. 2 public facing and 2 internally for the application servers. With 5 ports I could add another app server without needing to replace the LVS unit. I am concerned about the performance though. If it's not fast enough to figure all of this out then it rather defeats the purpose.

Any other suggestions for a solution? What do other people use out there for balancing and failover? Googling around I get the impression that most people consider load balancing to be a thing of the past and are using elastic clouds or application level solutions.

Cheers,
Sach