Re: [tlug] System security and public policy [was: Anyone seen this gizmo yet?]

On 2009-09-09 11:10 +0900 (Wed), Edward Middleton wrote:

> Curt Sampson wrote:
>
> > It's easy to look up the holders of the domain in the whois database.
>
> Which tells you nothing?  A/someones credit card is all you need to
> register a domain name.

Well, I don't know about you, but when I look up a domain claiming to
be associated with, say, Microsoft, and the registeration information
indicates that it's a "privacy protected" registration listed in the
name of GoDaddy[1], that tells me quite a bit.

[1]: BTW, don't use that sort of service if you particularly value your
domain name; it's the company that is listed at the owner that is the
owner of the domain (and has full control over it).

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com