Re: [tlug] System security and public policy [was: Anyone seen this gizmo yet?]

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Edward Middleton writes:
>  > Stephen J. Turnbull wrote
>  > > Sure, but what we're talking about here is not putting M$FT on a level
>  > > playing field, it's a public health problem.  I don't want users to be
>  > > liable for huge costs to run Windows securely, I want Windows to run
>  > > securely.  It's most straightforward to achieve that goal by
>  > > redesigning Windows to run securely by default.
>  >
>  > Microsoft's last attempt at this was Vista, need I say more.
>
> ..  You need to say what you think Microsoft would do if they were faced with the possibility of class action suits on the scale of what hit the tobacco industry in
> the U.S. ...

I think they would replace Marketing driven security with Lawyer driven
security.  Wouldn't that be great, we could have lawyers and judges
deciding what is secure.  Banks claiming they weren't broken into
because the judge gave them a declarative judgment that they were secure.

Edward