Re: [tlug] RAM question

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Ian Barwick<barwick@example.com> wrote:
> Recently a bunch of 1GB DDR2 400Mhz ECC RAM modules fell off the back
> of a server (so to speak) and I was thinking they might find a happy
> home in a putative new desktop. However looking at motherboard specs
> (at least of those on display in Yodobashi Camera) it seems the lowest
> rating of current motherboards is 533Mhz. Would I be right in assuming
> these chips won't be of much use (especially with them being ECC)?

I have an AMD dual-processor machine (two processors each with 2 CPUs
IIRC) and it has 8 slots for such memory, all of which are currently
filled. It runs very well, really fast for my needs and its about 4
years old now, or more. If you find one of those types of boards
(there are a few on auction occasionally) they should be fairly cheap
now.

Gernot