Re: [tlug] Does my Japanese Android phone not speak Japanese?

On 2009-08-26 18:49 +0900 (Wed), Martin Killmann wrote:

> Is there a reliable way to determine the text encoding in MP3 tags?

Yes. Use your favourite command-line tag-extracting program (perhaps
eye3[1]?) to pull out the title, and then do an encoding detection on
the result. Unfortunately, I can't tell you off-hand specifically how to
do the detection, but it would be something along the lines of either
just using iconv to try to decode to Unicode using the encodings of
interest (whichever ones don't fail are the possibilities) or using nkf
or its library to do encoding detection.

I'm not sure how far you want to go with this, or how much you're into
programming, but a little Ruby would go a long way to automating this
sort of stuff, including converting files for you. If you're not into
that, mucking about by hand with the command-line iconv program will
still take you quite a distance.

[1]: http://eyed3.nicfit.net/

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com