[tlug] Does my Japanese Android phone not speak Japanese?

TLUG,

My home Ubuntu system where I keep my MP3 (and occasional OGG)
collection is in Japanese. I use Amarok (v1.4, since 2.1 still sucks) to
manage my music collection. It seems to have no problem reading Japanese
in MP3 tags such as the song's "Artist" or "Title".

I listen to songs on my Android phone, using the default player that
comes with it. My Android is also set to use a Japanese interface. I use
Amarok's internal portable device handler to transfer the songs to the
Android.

However, when it displays song information, any Japanese comes out as
mojibake. What's up with that?

I'm trying to think who the bad actor in this is. I'm pretty sure that
the MP3 takes can take Japanese, as they seem to hold out when viewing
in Amarok and other players.

And I would have thought the music player would just throw whatever text
it had to the music player on my Android, which would presumably handle
Japanese since it's a Japanese player.

Anyone want to take a guess at where the breakdown is?

Thanks for any advice or commentary.

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G