Re: [tlug] Unix's 40th Birthday

On 2009/08/22, at 15:03, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com>
wrote:

>> Graham Iphone writes:
>>
>>> uses far less resources than vista , and bar gfx requirements runs
>>> similar to XP.
>>
>> Yeah, but graphics is what upgrading from XP is all about for
>> consumers,
>
> Well even on integrated chipsets, even on laptops, 7 looks much better
> than XP, but of course I would venture most people get their Windows
> pre-installed on new PCs so some of the 'choice' there is already made.

I agree.
>From a viewpoint of free OS choice,
I really really like European netbooks models and market.

Unfortunately, we can not choose the pre-installed OS
except MS ones in Japanese netbooks market.

Also, according to an article of UK Linux Format magazine,
a cost of Windows OEM is eating up 20% or more
of the netbook cost.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/business/4x_inspiron_mini_10/fs.aspx?refid=4x_inspiron_mini_10&s=bsd&cs=ukbsdt1

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/business/4x_inspiron_mini_10/fs.aspx?refid=4x_inspiron_mini_10&s=bsd&cs=ukbsdt1

Surely, prices of Ubuntu DELL and SuSE HP are quite low,
and update packages are also supported from them.

Oh My Gosh!
I do know these stamping down on Linux netbook prices
are due to economic recession deflation in European businesses,
but we actually need cheaper OS choice in buying netbooks.

For me,
I do not want to pay Windows 7 hardware update costs
in the future.

Sotaro