Re: [tlug] ARM Netbooks Will Only Run ****x (was Re: Unix's 40th Birthday)

Curt Sampson writes:

 > In three years, we will have $500 notebooks capable of running Vista

$?[1][2]

*We* will, but they won't be running Vista because *we* don't run
Vista.  (And then, Microsoft is probably hoping they can mercy-kill
Vista real quick.  Make that "8", because "7" will be getting long in
the tooth by then, too.)

Microsoft's worry is, who will be running [Microsoft BloatOS du jour]
on their notebooks?  Businessmen, probably.  But with a little bit of
peripheral magic you can go a long way with just a keitai nowadays.
So maybe not.  Many of my colleagues have stopped carrying notebooks
anymore.  They don't need them for email, they don't need them to take
notes and organize things, because they can do that with their
Blackberries and iPhones.  They don't need them for presentations,
they carry their .ppt or .pdf presentations on memory sticks, and
pretty soon you'll be doing that with your Android, no?  A lot of
business could go the same way.

I'm not saying that's the way it's gonna be.  It's actually pretty
unlikely, given the amount of inertia there is in big organizations.
But if I were Microsoft, I'd be worrying about it.

Footnotes:
[1]  Unix joke.

[2]  USD?  CDN?  AUS?  TWN?  Maybe we should quote prices in EUR.