[tlug] Cloud Computing vs. Windows vs. Unix

On 2009-08-21 14:22 +0900 (Fri), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> I wonder about that.  It seems to me that the same kind of business
> that would find cloud computing attractive (versus an in-house Windows
> server) would also find a Linux or *BSD server attractive.

Why do you think so? It seems to me that a big driver of cloud computing
is to get someone else to do the sysadmin, due either to wanting to
spend less time on it or lack of expertise. I suspect that those in the
lack of expertise camp, if denied cloud computing, would chose Windows
over Unix.

Contrawise, for those interested in security over saving effort, moving
from Windows to Unix is the likely goal (assuming the cost of learning
the new sysadmin skills is within the budget), and cloud computing
would be a big step backwards. The one exception here would be for
those interested in security who do not understand how insecure cloud
computing really is.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com