Re: [tlug] migrating Japanese filenames from old to new samba server

2009/8/21 Micheal Cooper <cooper.me@example.com>:
> What would be the best way to bring the old file server files over to the new machine so that I can manipulate the Japanese-named files through the command line?

You should be able to do something like
rsync -avz --delete --iconv=cp850,utf8
oldserver:/path/to/fileserver/stuff
newserver:/path/to/fileserver/stuff/

This sort of thing worked for me when I had to get a bunch of files
off an old Mac OS X server (UTF8-Mac, which is the same as regular
UTF8 except that they handle dakutens and things a bit differently)
onto a CentOS box (UTF8).

I vaguely recall having to build my own rsync from source at least at
the Mac end, as their stock rsync didn't have iconv support. Not sure
if that was a build options issue or just a matter of the rsync
version at the Mac OS X end being really old.

Hope that helps,

Edmund Edgar