Re: [tlug] Unix's 40th Birthday

Curt Sampson wrote:
> Edward Middleton wrote:
>
>> Well that is the conventional wisdome.  The Arista[1] switches don't
>> seem to take this approach, and they even run Linux ;)
>>

> ... I see nothing on their web site that indicates they don't take a conventional approach, and considerable evidence that they do...
>
> Their EOS may be based on Linux, but it sounds as if it's a mere control
> system for the hardware and software that does the real work.

Well I guess it depends what you call a conventional approach.  From
their whitepaper[1] on the website page 3.

Processing is in user space.  Protocol operation, management function,
and device management, including hardware device drivers, run in user
address space.

Edward

1. http://www.aristanetworks.com/en/EOSWhitepaper.pdf