[tlug] Notes on the Nomikai

There was a rare moment of on-topic discussion about Linux (RCU was mentioned, wow!) at the nomikai before it was interrupted by the usual noisy nonsense -- I hope I'm not the only kernel contributor on this list, and anyway you should all be interested because it's about security :-)

This strategy of turning a NULL pointer deref into an exploit by changing the kernel's personality (the surprising step we were trying to remember) is getting popular.

http://blog.cr0.org/2009/06/bypassing-linux-null-pointer.html

Two serious exploits so far, I believe. For example, http://blog.cr0.org/2009/08/linux-null-pointer-dereference-due-to.html

My apologies for posting something actually about Linux itself rather than luserspace to the list, so to make up for it, the example of an English sentence we saw on the learn-English program at the Irish bar, "Ben Foster the guy as injury scuppers England chance" should have been "the fall guy" <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6790791.ece>