Re: [tlug] Tlug Digest, Vol 44, Issue 24

Raedwolf Summoner writes:

 > My problem with any of the formulae to describe what happens is
 > that they cannot possibly take into account the complexity of the
 > situation.

So what?  We cannot possibly take into account the complexity of any
situation, except maybe the very simplest quantum interactions.

You need to say what you want to do with the numbers.  If the intent
is to predict *changes* in market variables and decisions, those
formula do extremely well.

 > It is entirely possible, even probable, that a VAT tax
 > will cost the company more than 100% of the tax and cost the
 > consumer a considerable amount as well.

Again, so what?  The company's activity can easily cost society many
times any miniscule profit it returns.  Ask any of the Minamata
victims.  But that may or may not matter to the analysis (for example,
if we're trying to determine why companies did what they did).