Re: [tlug] Yes! Another argument about the GPL! You knew you wanted it....

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Lars Kotthoff<lists@example.com> wrote:
>> That may not be what you had in mind, but what's what you're doing,
>> regardless. Basically, you're looking at good effects that might come
>> out of using the GPL on a piece of software, and ignoring the bad
>> effects that may also happen.
>
> And you're doing exactly the same thing for a more permissible license.

Using the MIT or BSD license, any code that I release will ALWAYS be
free.  It will be completely and totally free.  The only strings
attached being a request for a copyright notice, if it is applicable.

If some jerk decides to use my code, change my code, and not
re-release, then nothing has changed.  My code is still free.  Said
jerk may be able to do things with that code that I could never have
dreamed of.  I want him to have that opportunity.

If the same code is released under the GPL, then pretty much the rest
of my discussion vanishes.  The code is put in an iron box where the
only one who has any true freedom with the code is me myself.  Anyone
who wants to benefit from my code is stuck with that same iron box.  I
will not blame the GPL though, because it is not the GPL's fault.  It
would be my fault for choosing to use such a license.

Now, if I write a piece of code, and I hold full rights to said code
(i.e. it is fully my code and not derived from someone else's work),
then I would have no problem letting someone use the code under the
GPL license so that they could use it on a GPL's project.  The reason
is simple.  I stand behind the permissive licenses on grounds of
absolute freedom.  If I did not consider someone's request to
relicense my code, it would be hypocritical of me.

If it were not for issues of image and lack of protection (It holds no
disclaimer of liability), I would be perfectly happy with the
WTFPL[1]. ;P

[1] I cannot expand the acronym and maintain a G rating for my post.
However it comes up quickly in Google.

^.^

--
Ken