Re: [tlug] SSDs

On 2009-08-12 20:16 +0900 (Wed), Lyle H Saxon wrote:

> ...but when I am opening file after file (since each scene recorded
> with my video camera is a different file), there's an unpleasant
> "thunk" (well, not exactly "thunk", but something close to it) when
> I open the file. By copying over a batch of files to the SSD, when I
> continually open and close them, there is no irritating/scary "thunk"
> noise, so I imagine less "wear & tear".

Frankly, I doubt it, but I don't have any real evidence for this. But
these things are designed by engineers who are very much aware of
the wear characteristics of mechanical devices, and have gone to a
lot of work to calculate that mean-time-between-failure figure. Your
usage qualifies as "normal use," so you should expect the figure to be
reasonably accurate. (Well, barring design or manufacturing defects
that ocassionally creep in, but those will generally kill you early
regardless of how much stress you put on the drive.)

The "thunk," by the way, could well be just a large head movement as the
drive moves the head from a "safe resting" area back out into the disk.

> Another thing - I suppose it's better for a hard drive if (when
> rendering into another file format and/or when assembling cuts) to
> have the source file and target file on different drives?

Again, I doubt it. But it should speed things up as you'll have less
head movement.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com