Re: [tlug] Yes! Another argument about the GPL! You knew you wanted it....

On 2009-08-13 16:42 +0900 (Thu), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Curt Sampson writes:
>
>  > That may not be what you had in mind, but what's what you're doing,
>  > regardless. Basically, you're looking at good effects that might come
>  > out of using the GPL on a piece of software, and ignoring the bad
>  > effects that may also happen.
>
> That seems to be the case for Lars, but note that it is *not* the case
> for RMS and the more senior of his fellow-travelers.  They are well-
> aware of those bad effects and simply don't care, because their goal
> is free access to every line of code ever written, not the benefits
> that accrue to people from software.

Yes, I quite understand this, and agree. I also have no problem with
this attitude at all.

My problem with them is that they sell it as something other than what
it is: freedom as in 'free beer,' rather than freedom as in liberty to
do what you want with your own code.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com