Re: [tlug] SSDs

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 4:57 AM, David Santinoli<marauder@example.com> wrote:
> Assuming "better" in your question relates to performance, yes, in
> general it could help.  In some cases it might even make more sense to
> segregate each drive to its own channel (i.e. if you have two PATA
> drives, keep them on different cables: depending on the characteristics
> of your controller, the gain in speed will be more or less noticeable).

My biggest concern is reliability and longevity.  If the hard drive
has to read from a large file on one part of the disk, and write to a
new file on another part of the disk, I recall videos of the
mechanical motions of an HDD, and it seems that it would be a lot
smoother (and less mechanically stressing) to have one HDD reading
from the large file and and having the new file being created on a
separate HDD....

Sorry - I guess I spent too much in high school repairing my 1962
Galaxie-500.  It got me thinking about mechanical things and to
respect wear & tear issues, etc.

Lyle