Re: [tlug] Yes! Another argument about the GPL! You knew you wanted it....

On 2009-08-12 18:54 +0900 (Wed), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Specifically, using the best available code did not prevent Microsoft
> from publishing several versions of rather buggy TCP/IP stacks, no?

I didn't remember the stacks being all that bad, and given the
subtleties and temptations of TCP/IP, I'd imagine it would have been
much worse had they gone and used their NetBIOS guys to write their own.

At any rate, there's no way to stop people from writing crap code, but
at least you can give them good code and the opportunity to use it.

> The point being that secrecy is bad. This [point] does work in favor
> of a policy of discouraging proprietary extensions, to some extent.

I don't understand this. Perhaps you can expand on it?

> IMHO the GPL is not a great fit to either American extreme, and the
> GPL is way more in tune with Japanese mores than American.

Hm. That's an interesting thought.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com