Re: [tlug] SSDs

On 8/12/2009 11:01 AM, Curt Sampson wrote:
On 2009-08-12 10:24 +0900 (Wed), Graham Iphone wrote:

Any concern about the write wear on SSDs? I understand it's still an
issue on consumer models?
It's actually an issue on all models, to some degree or other.

But it's a fairly minor worry for me; I expect all of my hard drives to
fail catastrophically at some point, and have appropriate systems for
recovery in place. I expect it's quite likely that I'll be replacing
this drive with a larger one in a year or so, anyway, as the prices
continue to fall.

True. Still, I feel better avoiding write-heavy applications on expensive SSD especially if the application is CPU bound or there's no significant performance gain from using SSD. I even disabled the swap partition on my SSD notebook for that reason. Whether it will make a difference in the performance or life of the drive is unclear but I sleep better at night.

KyleHase