Re: [tlug] Zurus distributions experience

Hi, Pietro

I hate the concept of closed hardware architecture Linux Zaurus so I do not have experience,
but many folks are enjoying the Debian based Ubuntu on the Zaurus.

http://www.chottonews.com/archives/2213.php

I really love to use Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty on the IBM-era ThinkPad.

We can watch BBC / NHK news in flush, real player, windows media formats with no sluggish screen refresh.

Regards,

Sotaro

Pietro Zuco wrote:
Hi all

I have a Zaurus C1000 that actually I'm using with the default Japanese
system.
What I really need is a device to connect by wireless, using linux, a
terminal, a browser like konqueror of firefox, and a simple image viewver.
Also many command line tools, and Perl as well.
The default system with the Zaurus is not enough. The kernel is 2.4 and
many wireless extensions are not present. The graphical environment consume
too much resources. I'm happy with an ugly interface. What I need is
something fast.
The network management is controlled by a graphical tool preinstalled by
the default system.

So to achieve what I'm looking for I'm planing to install some third party
distribution.

I don't know much about Zurus hacking or distributions and available
applications.

So I would really appreciate some feedback about people experience
installing these third party OS's

I found this page to be a good starting point but before pass for the
painful process to try all of those distros, I prefer to listen to people
experiences:

http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=Distributions

Thank you in advance.

Pietro