Re: [tlug] [OT] Japan and 海外 credit cards

--
Sent from my phone as I'm on the move.

On 2009/08/03, at 11:51, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

On 2009-08-02 22:45 +0900 (Sun), Edward Middleton wrote:

Shinsei is OK, when they first came out they were the only bank offering this sort of low cost banking service. Shinsei concerns me because, I
presume they are running the banking services at a loss and the
investment products[1], that I presume is their intended revenue stream,
weren't very competitive.

They may not be competitive, but various individual products I've seen
are certainly very profitable for Shinsei. For many of their foreign
investments I've noticed that they take any upside on currency changes,
but leave the customer with any downside. Needless to say, I'd not
invest with them unless you are capable of doing a proper risk analysis
of the investment or can find someone to do this for you.

Hanko's don't need to be approved and most banks will even accept the
100 yen shop verity (which is totally ridiculous). Getting a properly
made Hanko is trivial so it is easier to just get one made.

Note that this is true for some things, such as bank accounts (where
companies traditionally use a different hanko than their official one),
but there are other things, such as company incorporation, where you
must have a hanko and it must

I've been at Shinsei and Citibank for a quite a few years, and both are Ok (Citibank do test your patience sometimes).

Like most banks, Shinsei will let you use a signiture or a hanko. The only time I needed a registered hanko/inkan was for my house loan, perhaps understandably. Citibank much the same.

From earlier in the thread, I got a Citibank Japan Visa card no problem years ago but I know a lot of friends who struggle to get cards after many years of being nice and paying taxes. I still don't know what the differentiator is here any more than in the UK.