Re: [tlug] [OT] Japan and 海外 credit cards

2009/8/2, Sach Jobb <sach@example.com>:
> Alexei just mentioned this a post or so back but I just recently got
> an account with Shinsei and was extremely impressed for all the
> reasons already mentioned plus a few more.
>
> They will give you an account if have a 外国人登録証明書. Actually, most banks
> will do this. The cool thing about Shinsei is that you can enter all
> of your personal data into a computer instead of having to fill out
> numerous forms by hand that then some poor clerical staff will have
> manually enter into a computer. Not before getting hanko approval from
> five middle managers, of course. Another little thing that impressed
> me was they were able to issue the card on the spot  instead of
> waiting for it to be mailed to me.

Another happy Shinsei customer here. Or at least not unhappy. They
even upped my available number of free interbank transfers from one a
month to three recently.

They don't have many branches, at least outside the Kanto area, but
ATM withdrawals are free at 7-Eleven (24 hours) and Post Office ATMs
(whenever they're open), which is very convenient.

One thing to watch out for is your signature: they are very pedantic
about it, and it it doesn't match to the nearest micron it will be
rejected. I found it easier to get a hanko...

Ian Barwick