[tlug] [OT] Japan and 海外 credit cards

Tobias Diedrich writes:

 > Ok, I know this is not in any way linux related, but I'm wondering
 > why it seems to be so difficult for japanese websites to accept
 > non-japanese credit cards.

Because the Japanese financial system is deliberately set up to
"encourage" use of Japanese banks.  Japanese banks also don't like the
potential liability that goes with the possibility that a customer
would refuse to pay, which most foreign countries impose by law.

 > And then there are the Conbini ATMs that show the Visa logo but
 > also only accept japanese Visa (Except Seven-Eleven I guess).

If you think that because 7-11 was originally an American company,
that doesn't matter.  They operate under Japanese rules and by
Japanese customs.

 > To make matters worse, I've read that you must have been in Japan at
 > least 6 months or have a job to be able to open a japanese bank
 > account and since I've been here only for two weeks and don't have a
 > job at the moment I can't get a japanese credit card.

I don't think that is true about bank accounts; there, you give the
bank money and they only have to give back as much as you've given
them.  You do need a fixed address, "the blue tent on the east bank of
the Sumida-gawa under the Asakusa Bridge" (or a hotel) won't do.  And
you need a visa (in your passport) that allows you to stay for a long
period of time.  Have you tried opening an account?

 > (BTW: I called barclay, but they say they don't see any transaction
 > in their log for the last few days, which includes my attempt at
 > registering with eplus and with wallet.yahoo.jp)

It was probably rejected as soon as they realized it was going to
leave Japan, and never got to the point of querying the international
system.