Re: [tlug] [OT] Japan and 海外 credit cards

> To make matters worse, I've read that you must have been in Japan at
> least 6 months or have a job to be able to open a japanese bank
> account and since I've been here only for two weeks and don't have a
> job at the moment I can't get a japanese credit card.
>
> Is there any way around this?

I could never get a card here either. Despite trying numerous times,
and unlike the US (where I am from) they don't have to tell you why
you were denied. They just say "sorry, no."

I finally got around the problem when I got married by having my wife
get a card and then issuing a spousal card to me (in my name). About a
year later I was able to get my own card independently.

After I did this it occurred to me that this is in fact the same
strategy I employed when I got my very first credit card in the United
States many years ago. I had no credit, so no one would issue me a
card. I had my mom get one, issue a child card to myself, and then
after some time passed the credit bureau had a record of my existence
and that allowed me to get my own card independently. This seems to be
the easiest way to get around the catch 22.

Cheers,
Sach