Re: [tlug] options when running out of external connectors: Use USB Hubs?

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Gernot Hassenpflug<aikishugyo@example.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Curt Sampson<cjs@example.com> wrote:
>> On 2009-07-30 22:39 +0900 (Thu), Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>>
>>> I've actually bought a (6-port) USB card to tide me over, I'm actually
>>> not too trusting of the hubs, while considering one of several larger
>>> items next month (budgeting).
>>
>> I'm not sure what's not to trust in the hubs; they're an integral part
>> of USB, and I'd be far more concerned about problems with the drives
>> themselves. And, as I said, they won't make any difference at all to the
>> speed unless you're transferring data from multiple drives on the same
>> hub at the same time.
>
> I had trouble with two hubs I bought: one simply refused to work with
> my desktop running linux (it was detected, but nothing I plugged into
> it was able to be detected), but worked fine with a laptop running
> Windows; another I bought burned out when I attached it to a Mac OS
> laptop (it had a separate power supply. There was a burning smell, and
> it simply did not work, not recognized, nothing). Hence I view these
> things with some trepidation, not knowing how to tell a reliable one
> from one that is not. I had some bad luck with the choices I made.
>
> Regards, Gernot
>
> --
> ASAHI Net.
> Visit ASAHI Net's English-language Web page: http://asahi-net.jp/en/

User input online for such products should help determine which brands
are more reliable than others.  USB as a specification is definitely
"hub-friendly", so the problem is not USB itself, just certain cheap
vendors.

Buyer beware and such.  :)

--
Doug McLean