Re: [tlug] Slow Cautious Migration from Windows to Linux

Martin Killmann wrote:

> jep200404 <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
>
> > The big slow cautious migration I would do would be:
> >
> > 1. Split hard drive.
> > 2. Install virtualization friendly Linux in new partition or _drive_.
> > 3. Install Linux and Windows virtual machines within Linux within
> >    that partition.
> > 4. If possible, use _existing_ installation of Windows
> >    in virtual machine within Linux.
>
> If I do this, it better be the slow and cautious route. I definitely
> need to keep the XP on this system intact because I need to get work
> done on it.

Understood.

> I think I'll use a USB thumb drive first, put Linux on that ...

There are many options here.

You can do everything on the USB flash drive.
You can have the OS on the USB flash drive,
and your data on a hard drive.
If you have enough RAM, you can copy everything to RAM,
then just run out of RAM. The boot is slow, but after
that, everything screams. (again, you can save data to hard drives)

Pay attention to the speed of USB flash drives.
Some are pokey, some are brisk.

Also pay attention to live CDs and live DVDs.
You can use those in combination with data saved on
USB flash drives, USB hard drives, and internal hard drives.

Also consider using external USB hard drives.
I think that's your best solution for now.

> Once I have a working system, I can think about fancy VM stuff etc.

Running only one OS at a time will be too painful. It won't be
useful by itself. So I think that virtualization is a necessary
requirement of your migration, so that you can run both OSs
at the same time. I recommend that you start playing with
virtualization sooner.

Mitigate risk of screwing up your existing Windows installation by
making backups.

You _must_ make backups. They are mandatory, not optional.