Re: [tlug] Old School xterm Fonts for Unicode/Japanese

On 2009-07-28 09:58 +0900 (Tue), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> The iso10646 registry simply tells X to use Unicode encoding to look
> up the glyphs.  There's no guarantee that there is a glyph to
> correspond to any given character code, however.  Unless you tell us
> what fonts you're using there's no way to give you an answer.

I'm using the defaults that come with xterm; I don't recall how to look
them up, but I believe they are the -misc-fixed-**- ones. I did try
installing some Japanese X11 font packages, and got some "sony" ones
that are livable (they appear to be the ones I used to use in kterm),
but they're all in JIS encodings.

I've also never been able to get input working in an xterm, and I'm
wondering if it's time to switch terminal emulators. Basically, all I
want is to run mutt, vim, etc. in a terminal emulator using strictly
UTF-8, and ideally have vim be able to switch me out of Japanese input
mode when I go from insert mode into command mode, and remember to
put me back in again when I go back to insert mode.

I had all this stuff working great back in the days of kinput2, canna,
kterm and nvi-m17n. But the world appears to have changed....

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com