Re: [tlug] First Android Phone in Japan release date announced

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Shawn Brown<big.coffee.lover@example.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>  When I'm at home, it exclusively
>> uses my home WiFi access.
>
> If you take out the sim, does wifi work.  I.E. does wifi work with no
> 3g connection.  DoCoMo explained I needed a data plan in order to use
> wifi.  I think they are confused and on a dev. phone should be able to
> get wifi without a 3G plan.

They are just trying to sell the data plan. The phone works fine on
wifi alone (for data, you still need the SIM for voice). The only
problem is registering the phone in the first place without a sim. You
can do that by using the debug cable and bringing up the settings
dialog, where you can activate Wifi and continue with the registration
with that. The instructions are easy to find on the net.

/Johan