Re: [tlug] First Android Phone in Japan release date announced

Shawn,

For the family plan (same 50% discount), calls to family members look
free and my wife can use my voice minutes.  Hmmn, if we both get
biz-hodai I wonder if I can use her data allowance if she doesn't.
Almost certainly not, but you might not want to do that anyway.

The "letter of acceptance" you sign off on when getting your HT-03A specifically states that the phone will automatically make connections for data synchronization, updates, and other downloads of "up to 80 megabytes", and that it can cost up to "approx. 80,000 yen if not subscribing to a flat rate plan". It doesn't state a time scale, but presumably they are talking on a monthly basis, since that is the billing period.

Bottom line is that if you have a Google phone, it looks as though you are going to max out your biz-hodai every month, no matter what other intentions you may have. If you also somehow use your wife's plan, you would then easily max out hers too, so if she uses the internet less than you, that strategy will cost you more, not save you anything.

We'll see in practise if this level of data transfer is the real deal or a worse case scenario. But for me, although I wasn't specifically aware of that amount of automated data transfer, before I got the phone I had made peace with the idea that I am going to be an internet junky anyway. It's 5000 yen (or so) a month for full time internet, and that's fixed in my mind.

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G